“And now leave me in peace for a bit! I don’t want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want to think!”
“Good Heavens!” said Pippin. “At breakfast?”
– JRR Tolkien
After trying the amazing creamy scrambled eggs courtesy of Healthy Recipe Ecstasy, I was excited to try an idea that had been floating around my head since just before Christmas. In fact, I did try this on Christmas day but I knew that I need to work on the creaminess just a little bit. Fresh with my new knowledge, I set out to create scrambled eggs with sweet potato, spinach and feta. Man, I couldn’t get it right. I kept struggling particularly with the sweet potato.
The method that Michelle used in her creamy scrambled eggs is replicated in these ones, so make sure to check out the last post. These scrambled eggs work best when you have a little time, so they are perfect for a lazy weekend or a stay-cation.
Sweet Potato, Spinach and Feta Scrambled Eggs
- 1½ tbsp, olive oil
- ¾ cup, diced sweet potato (I used Goguma, a Korean sweet potato), washed and dried
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¹⁄3 cup , roughly chopped spinach, washed thoroughly
- 2 eggs, whisked
- garlic salt, pinch
- ¼ cup, feta cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium to medium-high heat.
- Once hot, stir in the sweet potatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onions, lower to medium heat and saute, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender and very lightly browned. Don’t let the onions brown too much. (Around 15 minutes)
- Add the spinach and lower the heat slightly, just a little below medium) and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg and let it just set, around 30 seconds. Add the garlic salt and then, lower the heat to medium-low and start gently pulling the eggs back and forth to the center of the pan.
- Once they are almost done but still a little runny, add the feta, and black pepper. Shuffle the eggs back and forth for about another minute and then remove the eggs from the pan. As mentioned here, the eggs will continue cooking when you remove them from the heat. Serve immediately.
Breakfast ideas: To make it a little more substantial, serve in a wrap with halved cherry tomatoes seasoned with garlic salt. You could also serve on toast with a side of fruit.