“How can people say they don’t eat eggplant when God loves the colour and the French love the name? I don’t understand.”
~ Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Recently, I shared my Aubergine Rarebit recipe, and now I’m sharing a leftover idea. I’ve used this for lunch (and breakfast) quite a bit recently and it’s really tasty. It’s also easy and while it does pack a punch calorie wise (especially on this Blood Sugar Diet), it’s really filling and overall pretty healthy.
I really like Tesco’s Caramelised Onion Hummus but you can use whichever one you prefer or leave it out. I’ve used BF’s gluten free wraps as well as their Quinoa and Chia Seed Wrap. The gluten free wrap is 99 calories but the quinoa one is around 110, so if you are calorie counting, it’s something of which you should be aware. Overall, I prefer the Quinoa one – I find the texture of the gluten free one strange. As you all know, avocado is one of my favourite foods and it’s not a stranger to this wrap. In fact, if you don’t use the hummus, you need the avocado which adds a lovely creaminess to the rest of the ingredients and pairs so well, as always with the roasted tomatoes.
Originally, the first few times I made the wrap, I didn’t include the olives or coriander but they’ve been a wonderful addition. I had a jar of black olives that needed to be used and some leftover coriander (I like adding fresh coriander to soups) and I popped that in one of the days. Let’s just say that what had been a highly enjoyable lunch became a topnotch one!
Anyhoo, I ‘ll leave you go – it’s late and a Sunday night so I’m sure everyone is tired and getting ready for the work week (in Ireland it’s a public holiday on Monday, so I’m getting a three day weekend – but I’ll do my best not to rub that in your faces!).
I’m sharing this recipe at Fiesta Friday #169 hosted by the lovely Angie and her cohosts for this week are the ever lovely Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook and Elaine @ Foodbod. Also, a huge shout out to Elaine – her post on aubergine recently was what inspired me for my aubergine rarebits. So, thanks, Elaine!
Leftover Aubergine Rarebit Wrap
Approximately 300 calories
- BF Quinoa and Chia Seed Wrap
- 1 tsp Hummus (I used Tesco Carmalised Onion Hummus), optional
- Handful of spinach, washed and spun-out
- Aubergine Rarebit, 1 serving
- ¼ bell pepper, diced or sliced (I prefer red or yellow)
- ¼ avocado, diced
- 4-5 black olives
- ½ tbsp chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- 1 scallion, chopped (optional)
- Depending on whether this is something you are eating straight away or if it’s something you are bringing into work for lunch you have two options:
- If eating immediately, heat the leftover aubergine rarebit up under a grill/broiler on the lowest setting for about 5 minutes.
- If bringing into work for lunch, you don’t need to heat them up. Just keep add them to the wrap as in step 4, and then from when you leave for work until you eat it, leave at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat the wrap up on a frying pan for a few seconds on each side.
- Smear some hummus on the wrap and then layer spinach on one side of the wrap.
- Top the spinach with the aubergine rarebit, and then sprinkle on the remaining ingredients
- Roll the wrap, burrito style and enjoy or wrap in tinfoil and bring to work.
Wonderful idea. and I like idea to use leftovers as delicious food 🙂
Thanks so much! Leftovers are amazing, aren’t they? Sorry for the late reply – working as a ESL teacher during the summer means no time for anything blog related!
Homous, aubergine, avocado…what’s not to love??? You know me, I love aubergine and I love leftovers 🙂
Thank you for mentioning me too xx enjoy your bank holiday and thank you for bringing your wrap to this week’s Fiesta Friday xx
You’re welcome for the shout out! It’s totally deserved! Glad to bring it to the party and to your attention! I thought that the aubergine, hummus and avocado might just grab your attention 😛 I can’t believe the weekend is over already! 😥
You know me well!!! 😀😀😀
Ahhh… I love everything about this meal and I love love eggplants!! I have just finished my breakfast, but I think I am getting hungry again. 😀 It’s is so lovely to see you at FF party, Maggie. I hope you are doing well. ❤
Thanks, Jhuls! Glad to be back! I think that’s twice in a month? A record for me! HAHA… but seriously! Aren’t eggplants great? Such a lovely versatile plant and tasty, too! Hope you are keeping well! X
Everybody needs a break! 😀 But I am glad that you are back! x