“Well, many’s the long night I’ve dreamed of cheese–toasted, mostly…”
~ Robert Louis Stevenson III
The last few months, I’ve been back teaching English as a foreign language after almost a year away from it, so life has been hectic since I last posted. My first 4 weeks back at teaching I had a heck of a journey – easily 1.5 hours each way every day which was a longer commute than I had in Korea-land. It was at a summer camp where I taught 6-18 year old students from all over Europe and Russia. It was really fun but intense and left little time for anything but work and travel. I also got free lunch every day which while not always healthy, and sometimes not even remotely tasty, was still very much appreciated. I then moved into the city where I have been working on and off since August for the company where I received my CELTA and who organised the aforementioned summer camp. It’s been hard to get used to teaching again AND having a life. It’s funny how one year away can affect all your good habits!
On my off days, I’ve been making this breakfast. I think it may definitely be up there in the Royalty of breakfasts. It’s delicious and I’m already wishing tomorrow was an off day because then I could eat this. Not only is it royalty, it is also easy to make and contains only 8 ingredients. Whenever I have it, I’m full for ages and not hankering for another bite to eat just an hour later. It’s not the healthiest of breakfasts but the avocado contains lots of healthy fats that help to counteract the more unhealthy aspects of butter and cheese.
Fried Egg Grilled Cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread
- Cheddar cheese (red or white), thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, diced
- avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 ts[ Sweet Chili Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add an egg to the butter and gently fry. You don’t want the egg to get too crispy or the yolk to set too much as you will be cooking it further in the sandwich.
- Meanwhile, butter each slice of bread. Place one slice butter-side up and the other slice on top of that butter-side down.
- Place the thin cheese slices on this the butter-side down slice of bread, covering completely.
- Add the scallion and then the avocado
- Drizzle on the sweet chili sauce.
- Once cooked, remove the egg from the frying pan, and turn the heat to low.
- Add the fried egg to the sandwich
- Season with salt and pepper and then place a few slices of cheese on top. These slices of cheese do not need to cover the entire slice of bread.
- Take this top layer of bread and fillings and place, butter side down in the frying pan. Add the remaining slice of bread butter side up and gently fry the sandwich for about 2 minutes.
- Then add a lid and press down on your sandwich, gently. Leave to cook checking after a few minutes and then flip when golden brown on the bottom.
- Again cover, and leave to gently cook until golden brown all over. Remove from heat, slice in half and enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee.