A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.
– JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit
A couple of weeks ago, about 10 days before I went on my holidays, I didn’t really have any food in the house. I was trying really hard to use up what I had, and to not buy anymore food, so nothing would go to waste. All I had left in the fridge was a tiny bit of red bell-pepper, an avocado and some eggs. I rummaged through my shelves and found a packet of tortillas and decided I’d make wraps. It was really simple, and really good. I liked it so much I actually went out and bought another pepper and avocado to make it again the following night and the night after that…
Each time, I made them I made some slight adjustments – I added onions and garlic one day, as well as tomatoes and courgette another. This wrap is really versatile and I’ve loved each version. I hope you do, too.
Fried Egg and Avocado Wraps
- 2-3 Eggs, fried (approx. 1 egg per two tortillas)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced (around ⅓ per two tortillas)
- ⅓ large courgette/zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- cherry tomatoes, sliced (1-2 cherry tomatoes per tortilla)
- 1 tbsp olive oil for the vegetables, plus 1 tsp per egg.
- 4- 6 small (20cm) tortilla wraps
- mayonnaise/pesto for dressing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat your tortillas however you prefer. I like to use the stovetop method and, depending on how indulgent I’m feeling, with or without oil.*
- Once the tortillas are warmed through, stack on a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, if needed, to the tortilla pan, and then add the vegetables, minus the avocados and tomatoes, and fry everything until browned.
- Take one warmed tortilla and put it on a new plate. Add the cooked vegetables, top with some avocado and tomatoes, and set aside.
- Repeat step 4 until all the tortillas and vegetables are gone.
- Meanwhile, heat up a separate frying pan on medium heat and around 1 tsp of oil/butter per egg.**
- Add the egg(s) and fry as you prefer. I prefer over-easy eggs for this recipe.
- Cut each egg in half and top each tortilla with half an egg.
- Add mayonnaise and/or pesto.
- Season and fold your tortilla to make a wrap.
- Serve immediately.
*If you are cooking on a one ring stove, heat the tortillas first, then fry the vegetables. Change or wash your frying pan and fry the eggs last.
**I prefer using my smaller frying pan for the eggs and cook one at a time, especially if eating alone, that way my egg is always piping hot!
Make it your own: You can leave out the courgette/zucchini, tomato, onion and garlic – I didn’t have those ingredients the first time I made it and it’s still delicious. You can choose whatever dressing you like. The first few times I made it I used mayonnaise but after that I mixed mayonnaise and pesto together.
For breakfast: I’ve eaten this on a Saturday morning for breakfast. You could easily double the recipe and make for a few friends at a lazy brunch. You could heat up the tortillas and fry the eggs in advance to make the amount of work you need to do once your guests arrive a little easier.