If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
– J.R.R. Tolkien.
I recently bought a bag of quinoa. While, I have eaten it before, until last week, I’d yet to actually cook this fantastic little grain. I was trying to figure out what to make with it when I was flipping through Extending the Table and came across one of my favourite recipes from that cookbook called Vietnamese Fried Rice. A quick skim over the contents, a look around my kitchen and I came up with the below recipe.
I liked the recipe so much that I made it again this week for my lunches.
While this recipe does borrow heavily from the original recipe (coming soon), substituting quinoa for rice was not the only change that I made. I hope you like this recipe and that you find it an easy one to make when you are craving something a little different.
Vegetable Fried Quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa,*
- 1 dried chili
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp sunflower/grapeseed oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce*
- 1/2 cup leftover green peas, cooked.
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cook quinoa as per package directions with the chili, bay leaf and peeled garlic.
- Remove the seasonings from the quinoa and discard.
- Set the quinoa aside.
- Heat a frying pan on high heat. Once hot, add oil and heat for a further 15-20 seconds.
- Add garlic, onion, carrot, cabbage, black pepper, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and fish sauce.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and stir fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Then add the peas and cook for a further 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Reduce to a medium heat and add the egg, stirring constantly until it is cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
*You can make the quinoa up the night before, or use leftover quinoa from a different recipe. I cooked a batch up on Sunday night, and made this recipe on Tuesday night.
**For a vegetarian recipe, leave out the fish sauce. You could substitute some Worcester sauce or add an extra ½ tbsp of sesame oil, if you’d like.
Make it for a larger crowd: Double the amount of quinoa as well as the seasonings (black pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and fish sauce) and add a second egg. The amount of vegetables can stay the same.
Make it your own: Substitute any leftover vegetables like peppers, courgette or cucumber for the carrot and cabbage. You could substitute spinach for the peas. To thicken it up, you could add a second egg (this makes it more gooey and the seasoning more subtle).